Saturday, April 18, 2020

Teletherapy: Feeling Comfortable is a Process


To my newbie teletherapy co-professionals--try to take a breath. Allow yourself to step back and synthesize what has been placed at your feet. What are you asking of yourself? What is your school district asking of you? Are these expectations reasonable? Could these expectations potentially violate your license?  I disclose that I worked as an SLP in brick-and-mortar schools for over 26 years and have been a telepractioner for 3 years. When I started in teletherapy, the learning curve was steep and fraught. That hasn’t changed. In the beginning, one big frustration was that I didn’t know what I didn’t know. I didn’t know what questions to ask or even how to put some of my questions into words. I also struggled with wanting to know it all RIGHT NOW and being so frustrated when my brain couldn’t seem to grasp, store, and use everything I was learning, RIGHT NOWThe best teletherapists I know are perpetual learners. Many are self-taught. Many started out with very few, if any, mentors. Teletherapists tend to be a generous group but there are limits. Learning is doing. In other words, as you have your first few sessions, you may have new questions and the space in your brain that holds the unknown stuff about teletherapy will get smaller. It takes time. I swear I kept a big waste basket by my computer during my first of couple telepractice sessions because I was sure I would throw up. Scared. To. Death. Now my waste basket is filled with energy bar wrappers and popcorn kernels. I promise it will get better and better and you will grow your identify as a teletherapist. Seek out smart mentors. Read. Keep a journal and reflect on what you are learning. Make lists of questions and seek your own answers. Listen to pod casts. Join SIG 18. Document your concerns. Document everything. Keep learning. Most importantly, push yourself to provide a high-quality service, know HIPAA laws, and do all you can to protect the private health information of your students.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting Martin Speech-Language and Literacy LLC and taking the time to offer a comment.