Thursday, July 12, 2018

Teletherapy: Office Design Part 1

I moved this month. The last time I moved, sixteen years ago, my son was in kindergarten and my daughter was in 5th grade. I was much younger then. One purpose of the move was to downsize.  Downsizing is supposed to mean getting rid of stuff and locating to a smaller house. My husband and I accomplished moving to a smaller house but failed at the getting rid of stuff part. We now have a basement that looks like a furniture consignment shop. Hopefully our kids will take most of it as they continue to pursue independence. Hopefully. Or not. I'll worry about that later. One of the best benefits of this move has been living close to my aging parents. My dad will be 89 this summer! I've already been able to pop by their house before heading to Kroger and they stop by with cookies and herbs and tomatoes from their garden and homemade wine. Nothing like the taste of a home grown tomato. And the wine. Sipping a glass of Malbec right now. Moving back to the town I grew up in was a foggy dream a few years ago. Now, as I click on my keyboard watching my office curtains billow in the breeze, I smile, maybe even get choked up feeling like I don't deserve what I have. Speaking of my office--I love my office. My office. Mine. Since retiring after 30 years of working as an SLP in brick-and-mortar schools, I work from home as a teletherapist. Did I mention that I love my office?
Fly swatter adds a nice touch, don't you think?

I transformed my old dining room table, plus two leaves, into my amazing desk. I have room for two monitors and ample space to use my document camera to share books and activities. I keep my printer on a cart that rolls under the table. I also have room to stow my paper shredder. The area behind the desk has short book shelves and filing cabinets. I wanted to keep the space that students would see behind my face while on the webcam as clear as possible. The window provides wonderful natural light.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting Martin Speech-Language and Literacy LLC and taking the time to offer a comment.